• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Axle Shafts. Which will fit my 740?

maxitoman007

I have an 87 740 turbo with a welded open diff. I'm wondering which donor Volvos will have compatible axle shafts so I can stock up. I have a feeling they are going to be the new weakest link on my car. I'm thinking any non-G80 740/940 would work? is that correct?

On some early 240's (not sure about 740) you need to trim one axle shaft a trivial amount to fit a G80 in, but on later 240's and (again not sure of exact years) a G80 fits straight in. I put a G80 in my 93 240's rear axle without touching anything. They just made all the axle shafts a little shorter so installing G80 didn't involve a shaft swap as well.

Last edited:
On some early 240's (not sure about 740) you need to trim one axle shaft a trial amount to fit a G80 in, but on later 240's and (again not sure of exact years) a G80 fits straight in. I put a G80 in my 93 240's rear axle without touching anything. They just made all the axle shafts a little shorter so installing G80 didn't involve a shaft swap as well.

It makes sense then that all 7/9s would be similar as they came out later than 240s.

Back